Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson



Book Blurb:

Can a mother’s secret past provide the answers for a daughter’s future?

Celebrity photographer Grace Buchanan has always known that, one day, she’d swap her manic day job for the peace and quiet of her beloved childhood cottage, St Christopher’s – she just didn’t expect it to be so soon.
At the reading of her mother’s will, she’s shocked to learn that she hardly knew Rosamund at all, and that inheriting St Christopher’s hangs on one big – and very inconvenient – condition: Grace must drop everything for two weeks and travel the country with a mysterious stranger – war-weary Royal Marine, Alasdair Finn.
Caught in a brief but perfect moment in time, Grace and Alasdair walk in Rosamund’s footsteps and read her letters at each breathtaking new place. As Grace slowly uncovers the truth about her mother’s incredible life story, Alasdair and Grace can’t help but question their own futures. Will Rosamund’s madcap scheme go to plan or will events take an unexpected turn?

An emotional, fun-filled journey of a lifetime.

My review:

I loved the places Melanie took me in The Wedding Cake Tree!! From the sheep to the stars to a sky with different shades of blue, The Wedding Cake Tree was a journey of discovery not only about Grace's mother, but about Grace and Alasdair. With a wide range of emotions, surprises, heart ache and hope, I loved this journey.

Melanie's description of the places and the people are fantastic! She makes everything vivid and easy to picture in my mind, and made me feel like I was right there with Grace and Alasdair.

I felt like I could relate to Grace. Her mother's final request and this trip Grace is to take with Alasdair is unusual, but I could see myself doing the same thing for my mother. As crazy as the whole idea seemed at the time, I was glad Grace did it! I liked the unexpectedness of The Wedding Cake Tree, and the different perspective Grace gets of her mother. I felt like I got to know her mother also. I liked the way she handled it all. This trip seemed to come at a good time for Grace, she seemed to be on the verge of change in her life, and this might be the push she needs...

Alasdair is a quiet hero, charming, entertaining and a bit of a mystery for a while. I really liked who he was and how he was with Grace. There was a definite attraction between them, but their relationship was not rushed. Neither of them were looking or expecting to find each other, both of their futures are unsettled at the moment. Where they went with this was a sweet, heart warming romantic journey. And where it ended up really pulled on my heart and made me feel sad, hopeful and happy all at the same time. A real churning mix of emotions was what made this book so real for me!

There are some great secondary characters in The Wedding Tree, and I liked the intertwining of relationships...that some worked and some just didn't.

Overall I found The Wedding Cake Tree to be a fantastic read that held my interest and really made me feel like I had a vested interest in the outcome! Melanie's writing is smooth, easy to read, and the pace of The Wedding Cake Tree was just right! I'd recommend The Wedding Cake Tree to any woman's fiction reader who likes a strong touch of romance too!

4/5 stars

Purchase from Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment