Sunday, January 10, 2016

Review: The Art of Christmas by Jane Lovering


Book Blurb:

What if the memories of Christmas past were getting in the way of Christmas future?

It’s been nearly two years since Harriet lost Jonno, but she’s finally decided that it’s time to celebrate Christmas again.

Then she finds a stash of graphic novels belonging to her comic book-loving husband in the attic, and suddenly her world is turned upside down once more.

With the help of eccentric comic book dealer Kell Foxton, she discovers that the comics collected by Jonno are not only extremely valuable, but also hold the key to his secret life – a life that throws Harriet’s entire marriage and every memory she has of her husband into question.

As Harriet grows closer to Kell, she begins to feel like she could learn to love Christmas again – but first, she needs to know the truth.
 


My Review:

Jane Lovering took me on a unique journey in The Art of Christmas, and it was one I enjoyed.

I liked the wide range of emotions that Jane wove into the plot, and it was easy to feel what Harriet was feeling as I read.  The Art of Christmas is a well written novella about the struggle Harriet is having, and the difficulties she faces trying to move forward.

I liked the gradual build up of a relationship between Kell and Harriet.  It wasn't rushed, and I just liked how he was with her.

I felt a lot of hope for Harriet as I read The Art of Christmas, and I really wanted to see her begin to enjoy not only Christmas, but life again.  Reading The Art of Christmas is also a reminder that a lot of people struggle during the holiday season, and I felt that the plot was realistic.

I really enjoyed the unexpected turns that work their way into the plot, this added a lot more emotion and uncertainty!

Well written and easily flowing, The Art of Christmas is a poignant novella that I'd recommend.

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment